The 2020 MLB season has an outside shot of starting in the near future, as the owners are set to propose a plan for a shortened 2020 season with a few tweaks both on and off the field.
One of the tweaks that could force the league’s proposal to die out is a 50-50 split in revenue generated and a potential reduction in player salary. Longtime MLB agent Scott Boras is no fan of this agreement, as he said that this is a “renegotiation” of an agreement the player’s union had previously that is slanted more in favor of the owners.
Scott Boras says the owners already made a deal, and they have to live with it. “We reached an agreement, and there will not be a renegotiation of that agreement.” https://t.co/b4lkeXZeiq
— Stephanie Apstein (@stephapstein) May 11, 2020
“The players I represent are unified in that they reached an agreement and they sacrificed anywhere from 30 to 40% of their salaries so that the games could amicably continue,” Boras told Stephanie Apstein of Sports Illustrated. “The owners represented during that negotiation that they could operate without fans in the ballpark. Based on that, we reached an agreement and there will not be a renegotiation of that agreement.”
This sentiment is echoed by MLBPA president Tony Clark, who accused the league of “trying to take advantage of a global health crisis.”
— MLB Trade Rumors (@mlbtraderumors) May 11, 2020
As if the labor relations weren’t tense enough.
Clark and Boras are two of the most prominent figures in the game when it comes to deciding if and when baseball is to return this season, and both have indicated that they are not fans of this deal. There is a good chance that the owners’ proposal is rejected and the season’s start remains delayed.